Situated 700 miles off the coast of Asia, the Philippines is the second largest archipelago in the world next to Indonesia and is slightly larger than the state of Arizona. Its location is strategic which makes it rich with natural resources attracting many types of people.
Did you know?
- The Philippines is an archipelago made of up over 7,000 different islands.
- There are two official languages in the Philippines, Filipino and English.
- Nearly 100 million people call the Philippines their home.
- More than 10 million Filipinos live outside of the Philippines as OFW’s (Overseas Filipino Workers) holding jobs such as doctors, nurses, seamen, caregivers, nannies and domestic helpers.
- Filipino people have been known for their resilience in the face of disasters and their ability to laugh even when things are tough.
- Filipinos are a very religious people with almost 80% claiming to be Catholic and another 10% holding to Islam.
In spite of the country’s deep religious history there is a great need for truth. Countless people know the name Jesus Christ but millions still don’t understand that they can have a personal relationship with Him. People need to hear that there is hope not because of anything they can do, but because of God’s grace!
The Philippines stands in a strategic place for global outreach today. On one side there is a great need for the truth at home. On the other side, the Filipino church has begun to raise up leaders and sending their own people out to reach the nations.
Word of Life exists in the Philippines to partner with the local church. Our aim is to help develop leaders who are grounded in the truth and committed to bringing the gospel across the street and around the world.